The following instructions detail how to set up a VPN for Microsoft Windows. VPN stands for "Virtual Private Network. You need to use VPN if you are trying to access campus resources that require you to be behind the firewall (i.e., on-campus). This guide is for the College of Medicine VPN (COMVPN), which you will access using Cisco AnyConnect.
Note: When installing the Cisco VPN client, Firefox is the recommended browser. The screenshots in this guide are from a Windows 7 computer, but can be adapted to Windows Vista, or Windows XP with minor modifications. All points at which the process differs are noted and explained.
Click any image for a full-size version.
- Open an internet browser and go to https://vpn.arizona.edu. There will be a log in window which requires a NetID and NetID password. Group 3 should be selected (3-COMVPN).
- Once the form is correctly filled out, click Login. An informational banner should be displayed as shown below.
- To continue with the installation, click Continue. The following java application will load.
- Click Run on the prompt that appears.
- A status window will be displayed briefly, followed by a prompt for administrative permissions. The status window is shown below.
- Once this window disappears, the following box should be displayed.
- At this point the VPN installation is completed, and the program can be run from the Start menu.
- If it is not present on the main overview, it is reachable by typing Cisco in the search box and clicking Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client. Alternatively, go to All Programs, then click on the Cisco folder. In this folder there should be an option for Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client. Click this, and then run the program with the same name.
- Once the program starts, a window will be displayed. On this window, click Connect.
- A window should be displayed asking for the Username, and Password. These will be the NetID and NetID password. Fill this out and hit OK.
- Once valid credentials are entered, the following message will be displayed. Click Accept.
- After accepting this disclaimer, the connection will be made to the VPN server.