The Dean's Research Council (DRC) is a standing committee which advises the Dean of the College of Medicine on matters pertaining to research programs for the College of Medicine – Tucson.
- The Chair of the Committee is the College of Medicine Deputy Dean for Research.
- The Council will provide a list of suggested nominees to the College of Medicine Nominating Committee. Members of Council are elected by the voting faculty at the spring general faculty meeting.
- Council members serve for a period of five years.
- The Council is comprised of fifteen faculty members and three ex-officio members.
- The three ex-officio members are the Deputy Dean for Research, the Assistant Dean for Administration and Finance, and the Director of Facilities Management.
- Additional members may serve at the request of the Chair as ad hoc members.
- The Council is supported by the College of Medicine Research Office staff.
Composition of the Council
- Membership should consist of proportional representation from departments, centers and units.
- Thirteen of the Council members must be senior full-time tenure track faculty at the Associate or Professor level.
- At least three tenure track members must be faculty from basic science departments.
- At least four tenure track members must be faculty from clinical science departments.
- Membership must include up to two members from either the clinical suffix track (Associate Professor or Professor of Clinical Department) or from the research track (Research Associate Professor or Research Professor).
Member Eligibility Criteria
- Members must have a fully established and active research program and a track record of productivity.
- Elected Council members must show their responsibility to the committee and attend at least 60% of the meetings. Council members will be reviewed on a yearly basis for attendance and respect for committee processes.
- Missing more than 40% of the meetings, either excused or unexcused, will result in dismissal from the Council.
The Space Committee assists the Dean and the Deputy Dean for Research in allocating space equitably, resolving space conflicts within Departments and Centers, and making long range plans to improve and expand facilities to better meet faculty and staff needs at the College of Medicine – Tucson.