Quality of life
The College of Medicine – Tucson works hard to encourage work-life balance and high quality of life for our faculty. Here are some of our most popular programs—as well as resources and benefits offered to all University of Arizona employees.
- Child care — childcare referrals, subsidized emergency/ill child care, in-home childcare options and more
- Elder care — tips for caregivers, on-campus support events, and lists of local, state and national resources
- Domestic partner benefits — tuition, insurance and more
Work site wellness
- Flexible work arrangements
- Parental leave for tenured/tenure-eligible and eligible faculty
- Family medical leave
The Arizona Health Sciences Center is located in the high desert community of Tucson, Arizona. Arizona's second-largest city, Tucson is home to one million residents. Its 500 square miles are covered with flowering desert, rolling hills, winding dry riverbeds, rugged canyons and pine-topped peaks.
Tucson's one million residents enjoy excellent schools and abundant recreational opportunities within this culturally rich and diverse community. Tucson boasts a high quality of life and a very reasonable cost of living. Tucson gets about 350 days of sunshine per year—more sunshine than any other city in the United States.
We strongly value diversity in our faculty, staff and student body. This statement on diversity was approved by College of Medicine faculty in 2010:
The University of Arizona College of Medicine – Tucson is privileged to be located in Arizona, a land of rich cultural traditions and heritage. Respect for diversity, defined with regard to race, ethnicity, culture,
physical abilities, talents, language, spiritual practices, sexual orientation, gender identity and life experiences, is essential to the successful attainment of our mission to promote health and improve the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of disease for all the people of Arizona and beyond, through education, research and patient care.
The UA College of Medicine expresses its commitment to diversity by:
- Educating, training and employing diverse faculty, staff and student body,
- Fostering the development of personal attributes in its employees and students that are necessary to achieve its mission,
- Encouraging and supporting culturally relevant scholarly activities, that acknowledge and respect systems of healing that emerge from different traditions, and
- Providing a culturally competent, inclusive and respectful environment.
This commitment to diversity enables us to provide state of the art education, deliver the highest quality health care, critically address health care inequities, and perform leading edge research to benefit all our communities.
The University of Arizona contracts with Above & Beyond Relocation Services to help prospective faculty members plan for a move to Tucson. Above & Beyond can assist you from early in your candidacy, all the way through a possible relocation. There is no fee for this assistance.
- Housing and lifestyle needs assessment for you and your family
- Match you with an experienced real estate professional
- Provide information about area schools, spousal/partner career opportunities, recreation, cost of living and more