Every Windows product has a life cycle and that life cycle ends when security updates or fixes, software updates, and/or technical support are discontinued. On Jan. 14, 2020 Microsoft will end support for the Windows 7 Operating System. Campus Policy requires that devices connected to the network run software with security patches installed. After January 14, computers running Windows 7 will no longer be in compliance and vulnerable.
Are you still using Windows 7? If yes, please contact COM-ITS Service Desk as soon as possible!
Exceptions are allowed only if the system cannot be upgraded. Submit your security exception request by January 10, 2020, in order to implement mitigations needed before January 14th. Please note that that exceptions are temporary.
In addition to controls required for the exception, ISO may require additional controls in the future to prohibit domain or network access, should new threats exploiting unpatched vulnerabilities in Windows 7 emerge.
Exceptions are not available for:
Any device with regulated data (HIPAA, PCI, etc.)
To obtain an exception:
- Submit a Windows 7 exception service desk request at https://medicine.arizona.edu/webform/service-desk-request-form On your service request, please include the following information:
- Why should the computer remain on Windows 7? (e.g. Incompatible with specialized hardware, software, or connected devices)
- Computer name (You can find the name of the computer in the Systems Properties menu)
- Primary User
- Timeline for the upgrade or replacement of the outdated operating system.
2. Once the exception is approved, complete system upgrade/replacement before the expiration for the exception request.
If you have any question, please feel free to contact COM-ITS Service Desk at (520) 626-8721. We are located on the second floor of the Arizona Health Sciences Library and are open Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.