Information Technology Services (ITS) at the College of Medicine – Tucson has started a project to upgrade the remaining university-owned computers that are currently running Windows 7. Microsoft will be ending support for this operating system on January 14, 2020, and it is our goal to be operating completely on Windows 10 by this date.
Windows 10 was released in July 2015, and has been available at the College of Medicine – Tucson since 2017. When Microsoft ends support, they will no longer release security updates for Windows 7. Because any new vulnerabilities will not be patched by Microsoft, these workstations must be removed from the university network due to non-compliance with University of Arizona Information Security Policies.
ITS does recognize that certain departments may have old software or hardware that is not compatible with Windows 10. We encourage you to contact us to discuss upgrade options as soon as possible. If there is a business case for a particular computer to remain on an earlier version of Windows after Microsoft ends support for the operating system, we will need to get an exception approval from the UA - Information Security Office and the computer will need to be removed from the general campus network for security reasons.
There will be a lot to do over the next few months to ensure a successful transition, and we are grateful for your patience and support.
Here are some of the benefits you can expect once your computer is upgraded:
- Improved security
- Multiple desktops
- Improved performance, including a quicker boot up time
- Enhanced integration with Microsot products and services
- Better collaboration with BOX, OneDrive and ZOOM integration
When we upgrade your computer, we will be able to restore your desktop and settings. Everything should be exactly where you left in Windows 7.
Windows 10 Upgrade Timeline
Through October 1, 2019:
- Communication to departments and users
- Prepare inventory
- Purchasing process to replace those machines that we are unable to upgrade
- Testing Windows 10 for compatibility and to to ensure we have a smooth upgrade process
- Piloting Windows 10 with several departments
October - December 2019:
- Continue the purchasing, imaging, and deployment of new machines to replace those that do not support the upgrade
- Upgrade computers from Windows 7 to Windows 10. These upgrades will take place over time. We will coordinate with departments to schedule upgrades
December- January 2019:
- Upgrade laptops from Windows 7 to Windows 10
Target Completion Date: January 10, 2020
The following departments will be upgraded the week of October 28th:
- Remainder of desktops that may have been missed (35)
Purchasing new computers
If your current computer is not compatible with the Windows 10 upgrade, we want to be sure your new equipment is capable of running the current environment for years to come. We highly recommend that you go through COM-ITS for your purchasing needs. This will guarantee that your new equipment follows COM-ITS's standards and you get COM-T's discounts.
If you have any question, please feel free to contact COM-ITS Service Desk at (520) 626-8721. We are located on the second floor of the Arizona Health Sciences Library and are open Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.