Setting up the U of A VPN for Microsoft Windows
VPN stands for "Virtual Private Network". One should use VPN if they are trying to access campus resources that require security and privacy, or you are accessing U of A resources from a computer on Banner's internet. This guide is for the College of Medicine VPN (COMVPN), which you will access using Cisco AnyConnect.
Note: The screenshots in this guide are from a Windows 10 computer, but can be adapted to Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 with minor modifications.
- Open an internet browser and go to https://vpn.arizona.edu. Group can be left as 1-UASSLClient. There will be a log in window which requires a Net I.D. and Net I.D. Password. NetID + Method will be your preferred method for using 2 factor authentication otherwise known as NetID+. For the NetID + Method, if you are accustomed to getting a phone call to validate your log in, type in the word "phone" (without quotes). If, instead, you are accustomed to getting a "push" notification to your phone, type in the word "push" (without quotes). If you are accustomed to using a six digit code from your Duo Mobile app, then simply type the number in to NetID + Method. Next, left click on Login
- An informational banner will be displayed as shown below.
- You will then be logged on to a web site with the interface shown below. Left click AnyConnect on the left side of the screen.
- You will then see Start AnyConnect in the center of the web browser screen as shown below. Left click AnyConnect and it will detect your browser and operating system and install the Cisco AnyConnect Mobility Client.
- This is the detection screen that will display.
- Click Run on the prompt that appears.
- A status window will be displayed briefly, followed by a prompt for administrative permissions. The status window is shown below.
- Once this window disappears, the following box should be displayed.
- At this point the VPN installation is completed, and the program can be run from the Start menu.
If it is not present on the Start menu, it is reachable by typing Cisco in the search box and clicking Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client. Alternatively, go to All Programs, then click on the Cisco folder. In this folder there should be an option for Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client. Click this, and then run the program with the same name.
- Once the program starts, a window will be displayed. On this window, click Connect.
- A window should be displayed asking for the Username, Password, and NetID+ method. These will be the NetID and NetID password and the method you use for NetID+ method. Left click OK.
- Once valid credentials are entered and you have completed the log in, the following message will be displayed. Click Accept.
- After accepting this disclaimer, the connection will be made to the VPN server.