Each year, the College of Medicine – Tucson Staff Advisory Committee seeks employee nominations for the Lura Hanekamp Dedicated Staff Award for Excellence. The award recognizes employees who are committed to excellence in service.
This year, the committee selected three 2018 awardees. Recipients were selected as part of a rigorous competitive process with co-workers from across the college submitting written nominations.
On Thursday, August 2, Interim Executive Dean Irving L. Kron, MD, presented the 2018 Lura Hanekamp Dedicated Staff Awards for Excellence to the following three awardees:
- Lupe O. Gastelum, Special Assistant, Dean’s Office, Medicine Administration
- Chan A. Huynh, Senior Program Coordinator, Department of Surgery
- Jessica M. Montoya, Executive Assistant, Department of Surgery
Awardees received a monetary award and plaque recognizing their excellence. Eight other nominees were recognized for their hard work and dedication during the ceremony:
- Marlise E. Bourland, Department of Physiology
- Melissa M. Carton, Department of Surgery
- Richard Chavez, Medicine Administration
- Anne F. De Leon, Department of Neurology
- Maria “Helen” Hill, Department of Medicine
- Sonia Romo, Department of Otolaryngology
- Jennifer A. Ronnebaum, Department of Emergency Medicine
- Lori R. Zimmerman, Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology
Lura Hanekamp was part of the University of Arizona College of Medicine family for 30 years. She served as an administrative assistant in the Department of Physiology until her untimely death in 2010. Her husband, William J. Hanekamp, created an endowment in honor of his late wife to acknowledge and recognize College of Medicine staff, like Lura, who dedicate their careers to serving fellow faculty, staff and students. The permanently endowed fund at the University of Arizona Foundation is designed to help support the College of Medicine – Tucson staff awards in perpetuity.
A recording of the ceremony is available to watch online at https://streaming.biocom.arizona.edu/event/?id=28351.